Outline of Service 24th March 2019
James Chapter 5: Prayer and Praise – Jas 5:13
Faith at Work – helping and waiting
Hymn105: Saying Thanks!
The Lord’s Prayer from Luke 11:2-4
Psalm 19:7-14 – Following God’s Way
Bible Readings: -
· Oppression and Discrimination are Wrong! James 5:1-6
· Elijah’s Power through Prayer: 1 Kings
· Patience and Prayer: James 5:7-20
Hymn 26: God has a Plan – Wait for It.
· In chapter 5 James firstly points out that oppression is wrong, just as he did about discrimination in chapter 2; he uses the term “riches” to refer to not only money, but attitude and life-style
· He exhorts us to be patient, “for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh” (8) and like the farmer waiting for the crop to mature, God will fulfil His plan in His time
· James recommends that we pray and praise (13) whilst we are waiting, and that we seek to help others in need
· James uses the example of God’s Prophet Elijah who, although just like us, was used by God through his prayers
· Remember – God is in control, and nothing is too big for God
· Using the keys that James has given let us establish a relationship with God, and seek to be preserved in spirit and soul and body until Jesus Christ returns.
Hymn 132: A Permanent Resident?